Yukon River Gold Rush Trek Itinéraire, complete itinerary along with maps, vêtements et la liste des équipements, seront émises lors de l'enregistrement.
Inclus: Transport à partir du point d'origine et le retour, les frais de camping, matériel de cuisine, réchauds de camping, tentes, la préparation des repas, canoes, canoe carts, paddles, life jackets, canoe dry bags, two night’s hotel in Dawson City, repas / collations / boissons sur l'expédition, bâches, principales fournitures de premiers soins, radio d'urgence ou téléphone satellite, et des guides professionnels.
Exclu: Transport au point d'origine, transferts, l'hébergement et la nourriture autre que inclus dans l'itinéraire, gratifications, et l'équipement personnel.
Meals: All meals while on the river. 17 au 26 juin, 2017
Jour 0: Arrival in Whitehorse. This denotes the day or days spent in Whitehorse before the listed start date of the trip.
After breakfast, we will be picked up by our driver and taken to our destination, Minto, environ 3 heures de Whitehorse. Here we will load canoes, review paddling safety and technique, and begin our paddle to historic Dawson.
jours 2-7: It is not practical to give a day by day itinerary. Nous pagayer environ 50 km / 31 mi par jour. Our plan is establish camp on the many islands and sandbars which characterize this stretch of river. This will lessen the remote possibility of bear encounters as well as reduce our contact with those pesky mosquitoes. The following, highlight some of the more interesting features of this stretch of river:
The sight of Fort Selkirk (125 km de Carmacks) on a high bank remains one of the trip’s highlights. Compagnie de la Baie d'Hudson établit en 1848. Only accessible by water, Fort Selkirk includes a campsite with well water, tent sites, kitchen shelter with cook stove, bear-proof garbage containers, and a warming cabin. Our trip down the Yukon River normally includes an overnight and layover day at Fort Selkirk.
Fort Selkirk has long been a gathering place for First Nation peoples. Des outils de pierre découverts près de ce site ont été datés à 10,000 ans. en 1848, John Campbell descended the Pelly River to establish a Hudson Bay Company trading post at the junction of the Yukon and Pelly River. En 1852, les Chilkats côtières, who had previously maintained a monopoly on trade with the local First Nation peoples, reacted to this challenge by looting and then burning the trading post. Campbell fled for his life and it was thirty years before white men returned to the region. en 1889, Arthur Harper re-established a trading post here, calling it Harper’s Landing.
En 1894, l'évêque BOMPASS érigé une maison de mission et l'école. En 1899, la Police à cheval du Nord-Ouest a construit une station ici et un bureau de poste a été ouvert. With the opening of the Klondike Highway, and the subsequent demise of riverboat traffic, Fort Selkirk a été abandonnée dans les années 1950. Today the Canadian Heritage Branch has restored the settlement with the Taylor & Drury store, Mounted Police building, Protestant and Catholic Churches, et Schoolhouse parmi les plus de 30 bâtiments ouverts au public.
Once past Fort Selkirk, the surrounding country is at least as impressive as ever. Certainly there is no shortage of historic sites along the banks.
The White River (120 km de Dawson) sees a dramatic difference in the colour (and the sound) of the Yukon River. The colour is the result of a combination of glacial silt, et les cendres d'une éruption volcanique d'environ 1,Il y a 250 ans. The ash layer now makes a convenient dating tool for archeologists at sites throughout most of the south and central Yukon.
At Stewart City (100 km de Dawson) the river is slowly reclaiming the site. The Stewart River, which joins the Yukon near Stewart City, was one of the earliest of the Yukon’s placer mining areas. Prospecteurs travaillaient probablement sur la rivière en 1880, et en 1885, several fairly rich bars were discovered. Arthur Harper soon set up a post at the mouth of the river to serve these miners. Cependant, lorsque des dépôts beaucoup plus riches d'or ont été découverts près Fortymile en 1886, everybody moved there. The Stewart didn’t attract much attention again until the Klondike rush; a fair-sized town was built, with a sternwheeler dock, a NWMP post, a large warehouse, two hotels, a large number of cabins, and an even larger number of tents. La population peut avoir atteint 1,000 pendant l'hiver 1898-1899. Although the boom ended, l'île a maintenu une population comprise entre 25 et 50 dans les années 1930 en retard. Several buildings have been moved back from the river’s edge in recent years.
As we get closer to Dawson, a number of old woodcamps and homesteads have been taken over by new owners and new cabins have been built to replace the old ones. The relatively fertile islands were particularly popular spots for combined wood-cutting/farming operations. Little or nothing remains at most of these sites. Some have been lost to river erosion, or were moved to new locations when the original site was no longer viable.
The anticipation heightens with each bend in the river as we near Dawson City. This same thrill and anticipation must have been present with the Klondike goldrushers after their long journey. Finally the Dome, Dawson’s well-known landmark, can be seen in the distance. One more bend and we have arrived.
jours 7-9: We have scheduled at least one complete day in Dawson to allow you time on your own to visit the sites that are of most interest to you. We will also drive to visit the original goldfileds and the lookout [Dome].
We will leave Dawson after breakfast on the last day and return to Whitehorse, arriving late afternoon. Along the way we will stop at Braeburn Lodge, a.k.a. Cinnamon Bun Airstrip, for the largest, and best, cinnamon bun around.No tags for this post.