Yukon River Gold Rush Trek Itinerário, complete itinerary along with maps, roupas e lista de equipamentos, será emitido após a inscrição.
Incluído: Transporte do ponto de origem e de retorno, taxas de campismo, utensílios de cozinha, fogões de acampamento, tendas, preparações refeição, canoes, canoe carts, paddles, life jackets, canoe dry bags, two night’s hotel in Dawson City, refeições / lanches / bebidas na expedição, lonas, principais primeiro socorros, rádio de emergência ou telefone por satélite, e guias profissionais.
Excluídos: Transporte para o ponto de origem, transferências, alojamento e alimentação que não seja incluído no roteiro, gratificações, e equipamento pessoal.
Meals: All meals while on the river. 17-26 junho, 2017
Dia 0: Arrival in Whitehorse. This denotes the day or days spent in Whitehorse before the listed start date of the trip.
After breakfast, we will be picked up by our driver and taken to our destination, Minto, cerca de 3 horas de Whitehorse. Here we will load canoes, review paddling safety and technique, and begin our paddle to historic Dawson.
dias 2-7: It is not practical to give a day by day itinerary. Vamos remar cerca de 50 km / 31 mi por dia. Our plan is establish camp on the many islands and sandbars which characterize this stretch of river. This will lessen the remote possibility of bear encounters as well as reduce our contact with those pesky mosquitoes. The following, highlight some of the more interesting features of this stretch of river:
The sight of Fort Selkirk (125 km de Carmacks) on a high bank remains one of the trip’s highlights. Da Hudson Bay Company estabeleceu-se em 1848. Only accessible by water, Fort Selkirk includes a campsite with well water, tent sites, kitchen shelter with cook stove, bear-proof garbage containers, and a warming cabin. Our trip down the Yukon River normally includes an overnight and layover day at Fort Selkirk.
Fort Selkirk has long been a gathering place for First Nation peoples. ferramentas de pedra descobertos perto deste local foram datados de 10,000 anos. em 1848, John Campbell descended the Pelly River to establish a Hudson Bay Company trading post at the junction of the Yukon and Pelly River. Em 1852 os Chilkats costeiras, who had previously maintained a monopoly on trade with the local First Nation peoples, reacted to this challenge by looting and then burning the trading post. Campbell fled for his life and it was thirty years before white men returned to the region. em 1889, Arthur Harper re-established a trading post here, calling it Harper’s Landing.
Em 1894, Bishop Bompass erguida uma casa de missão e escola. Em 1899 a Polícia Montada do Noroeste construída uma estação aqui e uma estação de correios foi aberta. With the opening of the Klondike Highway, and the subsequent demise of riverboat traffic, Fort Selkirk foi abandonado em 1950. Today the Canadian Heritage Branch has restored the settlement with the Taylor & Drury store, Mounted Police building, Protestant and Catholic Churches, e escola entre os mais de 30 edifícios que estão abertos ao público.
Once past Fort Selkirk, the surrounding country is at least as impressive as ever. Certainly there is no shortage of historic sites along the banks.
The White River (120 km de Dawson) sees a dramatic difference in the colour (and the sound) of the Yukon River. The colour is the result of a combination of glacial silt, e cinzas de uma erupção vulcânica cerca de 1,250 anos atrás. The ash layer now makes a convenient dating tool for archeologists at sites throughout most of the south and central Yukon.
At Stewart City (100 km de Dawson) the river is slowly reclaiming the site. The Stewart River, which joins the Yukon near Stewart City, was one of the earliest of the Yukon’s placer mining areas. Garimpeiros foram provavelmente trabalhando no rio em 1880, e em 1885, several fairly rich bars were discovered. Arthur Harper soon set up a post at the mouth of the river to serve these miners. Contudo, when much richer deposits of gold were discovered near Fortymile in 1886, everybody moved there. The Stewart didn’t attract much attention again until the Klondike rush; a fair-sized town was built, with a sternwheeler dock, a NWMP post, a large warehouse, two hotels, a large number of cabins, and an even larger number of tents. The population may have reached 1,000 over the winter of 1898-1899. Although the boom ended, the island maintained a population of between 25 and 50 into the late 1930s. Several buildings have been moved back from the river’s edge in recent years.
As we get closer to Dawson, a number of old woodcamps and homesteads have been taken over by new owners and new cabins have been built to replace the old ones. The relatively fertile islands were particularly popular spots for combined wood-cutting/farming operations. Little or nothing remains at most of these sites. Some have been lost to river erosion, or were moved to new locations when the original site was no longer viable.
The anticipation heightens with each bend in the river as we near Dawson City. This same thrill and anticipation must have been present with the Klondike goldrushers after their long journey. Finally the Dome, Dawson’s well-known landmark, can be seen in the distance. One more bend and we have arrived.
Days 7-9: We have scheduled at least one complete day in Dawson to allow you time on your own to visit the sites that are of most interest to you. We will also drive to visit the original goldfileds and the lookout [Dome].
We will leave Dawson after breakfast on the last day and return to Whitehorse, arriving late afternoon. Along the way we will stop at Braeburn Lodge, a.k.a. Cinnamon Bun Airstrip, for the largest, and best, cinnamon bun around.No tags for this post.